There are a lot of changes brewing with the WICS Series and the 2020 season is about to begin. Below are some changes affecting the series and highlights of a few rules get overlooked.
1) The series now runs over two semesters. This year we’ll have at least two competitions in November/December. UW-River Falls is on November 16, and UW Eau Claire is on December 7.
Extending the season will enable us to expand the series and offer even more events.
2) Midwest Mountain Guides are back as a Presenting sponsor
3)Each competition’s results are posted here on our web page under the corresponding competitions results page. Our goal is to post them by Monday evening following a competition. These results will have each climber’s overall score along with each participants corresponding WICS points.
4) WICS points are calculated differently than the points earned while competing. WICS points are awarded separately after the competition. Learn more about the point system here.
5) Teams, as well as individuals, compete against each other. Team scores are calculated by combining the teams individual top 4 WICS points earners. Teams must have four climbers eligible to earn team points. WICS is a co-rec event, so at least one of the four scores needs to come from the opposite gender. For example, two male and two female, one male and three female, three male, and one female.
6) *The team series champions are determined by combining each team’s top 5 competition scores. Since we have six competitions in our series this year, a team gets to drop their lowest score. If a team doesn’t compete in a competition, they will earn 0 points.
8) *The overall individual series champions are also recognized. WICS recognizes the top 3 male and female series climbers at the end of the season. These individuals earn their position based on their combined scores from their best four competitions. Basically an individual gets to drop two of their lowest scores. If a climber doesn’t participate in a competition, they earn 0 points, but if they compete in all six, they earn ten bonus points.
*Adding a 7th competition may change the scoring